Buying a home can be stressful and the last thing you want to end up with is the previous owners' problems. You want to make a smart purchase, and being armed with the right questions to ask can help you avoid a nightmare when purchasing your dream home. First things first, look at the roofing system. Here are five questions we highly recommend you ask before making an offer:
1. What is the roof's condition? Ask if the homeowner is aware of any recent damage. Do you see any noticable damage you can see from the ground? Check the roof for any cracked, curled, or missing roof shingles. Are there any areas that look worn, or damaged?
2. How old is the roof? Knowing the roof's age will help you determine about when it will need replaced again.
3. Who did it, and why? Was it the cheapest option? This will give you a good idea of the home's past problems and possibly gauge the quality of work performed. Cousin Joe probably was not as thorough as a professional contractor when it comes to proper roof installation and its longevity.
4. How many layers? How many layers of shingles are currently on the roofing system?
5. What type of roof is on the home? There are so many choices available today. This information will help you better understand the needs and cost to maintain the home's roof.
These are all great questions to ask when you find a home or property that you are interested in potentially purchasing. The answers will provide you with a clear picture of the roofs true condition, and whether or not you want to factor that valuable information into your bargaining on the purchase price.
If any answers to the above questions have you somewhat concerned or still in questions, it's a good idea to call on a licensed, professional roofing contractor to perform an inspection. The more information you have on the home's roof, the closer you will be in determining when it will be due for maintenance or replacement.
We're here to answer any questions you may have! Contact us now