It’s busy season in our industry! Working long hours in the summer heat requires you to pay extra attention to staying alert and hydrated. Of all the nutrients we need, water is often the most forgotten. Your body can go much longer without food than it can without water, so it’s important to stay hydrated. This is even more important if you’re active or working in the summer heat. Daily water intake must be balanced with losses, and remember: everyone’s fluid requirements are different. Here are some tips to easily stay hydrated this summer:
1. Drink water to PREVENT thirst.
2. Monitor your fluid loss by paying attention to your urine. Pale yellow = good. Dark yellow or smelly = bad.
3. If you’re out in the heat for more than an hour supplement your water intake with a sports drink containing electrolytes.
4. Avoid alcohol the day before or day of working in the heat.
5. Eat your fruits and veggies. They contain water too!
6. Using a lot of muscle on the job? You will need more protein to build muscle, carbohydrates to refuel muscle, electrolytes to replenish what's lost in sweat, and fluids to help rehydrate your body.
7. Craving flavor? For those who get sick of plain water, try adding lemon or other fruits for flavor.
There you have it. A solid list of easy ways to stay healthy and hydrated when you’re working in the heat this summer. Take hydration seriously. If you’re feeling thirsty it’s time to rehydrate because heat stroke is no joke!