Melting snow, rain, and more rain. This time of year we get numerous calls for roof leaks in need of service. Considering what your roof has endured this past winter it's hard telling what kind of shape your commercial roof is in at this point unless you've had a professional inspection. Here are some common reasons commercial roofs leak in the spring:
1. SNOW REMOVAL DAMAGE Your efforts to remove heavy snow from your commercial roof top has resulted in a roof leak. This typically happens when someone uses a metal-edged shovel which tears the roof system's membrane. Now that everything has thawed, you can see the leaky damage. We recommend hiring a professional commercial roof contractor to properly remove snow in the future.
2. FREEZE/THAW CYCLES Winter is tough on roof systems. The constant expanding and contracting with all the freeze/thaw cycles can result in membranes separating from walls or at the seams.
3. DAMAGE FROM DEBRIS Winter winds can move debris like tree branches around on your roof causing damage to your roof system's membrane. Debris left behind by other workers (e.g., HVAC) can also cause damage.
4. SEALANT DAMAGE Sealants should be inspected regularly and repaired as necessary by a professional. If they are not significant damage can occur and cause leaks.
5. DETERIORATED FLASHING These should also be inspected regularly because oftentimes what will happen is flashing will fail before the roof system itself does. When the flashing is damaged or not working properly, it lets water into the roof system and that's when you see the leak.
There are several things that can cause a roof leak and most of them can be prevented through regular inspections and maintenance. As your local commercial roofing professionals, we have a maintenance program available so you don't have to worry about minor issues becoming costly nightmares. Ask us about RoofCare and request your free roof analysis by calling 419-739-ROOF.